Michigan Sports Betting
Following the Professional and Amateur Sports Protection Act (PASPA) strike-down in 2018 by the Supreme Court in U.S, it became legal to engage in sports betting activities in the Great Lake State. Of importance to note is that bettors must be 21 years of age if they want to wager or enjoy casino games in Michigan.
Michigan authorizes all tribal casinos in the state and three commercial ones that are located near the city. In short, Michigan is now a full-service sports betting state. Visitors and Michiganders can place their sports bets on their computers, mobile devices, and several retail locations that are active in Michigan.
Start here to discover some of the best legal bookmakers in Michigan, online sports betting sites and apps, along with crucial information that you need to know before you go about wagering on your favorite sporting events in Michigan.
Best Online Betting Sites in Michigan
Michigan is one of those populous states in the U.S. For that reason, it’s no surprise that some of the globe’s top bookies have managed to make their way to the Great Lake State. Today, there are more than a dozen operators in Michigan. Some are good, while others offer below-par services. The following is a list of notable brands in Michigan.
- DraftKings – This operator is a household name and a top brand in sports betting. They have a generous welcome offer and a bonus up to $1,000.
- FanDuel – This operator has some of the best sports betting apps in MI, along with a lucrative welcome offer and excellent promotions, especially for new bettors.
- BetMGM – With a wealth of experience in the industry, this operator has impressive sign-up bonuses, weekly free bets, and plenty of in-play betting options.
- BetRivers – BetRivers has a bonus offer of up to $250. Players can sign up with them from anywhere in MI and enjoy their enticing welcome offer.
- William Hill – This is a world-renowned bookie that offers customers plenty of attractive bonuses and promotions and some of the biggest futures and in-play betting markets.
- Golden Nugget – Golden Nugget is one of those bookies in MI that offer its customers enticing rewards, along with numerous promotions, especially for new players that sign up with them.
- PointsBet – PointsBet is one of America’s fastest-growing bookie and bettors with accounts here can expect to find a user-friendly mobile sports betting app and unique features such as Points Betting.
Sports Betting Laws in Michigan
Sports betting in the State of Michigan has been legal since December 2019, the moment Governor Gretchen Whitmer signed a lawful sports betting act HB 4307 into law. This made Michigan the ninth state in the US to approve and allow legalized sports betting. When Michigan’s first bookmakers went live, the state of Michigan became the 20th state in the United States to have a regulated and legalized sports betting.
The law gives room for online sports betting across Michigan, along with the launch of retail bookies at the state’s tribal and commercial casinos. Additionally, online bookies in Michigan have to pay a tax of 8.4% on gross sports betting receipts. Money that’s given to players for free- play promos can be deducted before taxes.
Fantasy sports contests are also legal in Michigan. However, licenses for those who want to offer fantasy sports come with a $10,000 initial fee, along with a $5,000 annual renewal cost. For players to participate in sports betting and any other gambling activities in MI, they must be at least 21 years of age.
Sporting Events that you can bet on in Michigan
Sports betting laws in Michigan leave it up to the regulator to decide valid sports betting activities for wagering. The law specifies that players can wager on sporting activities that involve minors, so no high school football, but you’ll certainly find a list of almost all the sporting events that you can think of. Almost all bookies in MI allow their customers to wager on professional sports and amateur sports such as college football. For Michiganders, the following are some of the sports that they can bet on:
- Baseball (Major League Baseball, World Baseball Classic, NCAA)
- Australian Rules Football
- Auto Racing (IndyCar, Formula 1, NASCAR)
- Bowling (PBA)
- Boxing (WBA/IBF/WBO/WBC)
- Rugby Union and Rugby League
- Tennis Soccer (MLS, EPL, La Liga, Italy Serie A, Europa, German Bundesliga, UEFA Champions League)
- Softball (NCAA)
- Olympics (Summer and Winter Games)
- Mixed Martial Arts (Professional Fighters League, Bellator, UFC)
Types of Sports Bets that you can make in Michigan
Again, the law in Michigan doesn’t place any restrictions regarding the types of bets that a player can place. With modern technology, bettors have several innovative options. Some of the most popular ones include the following:
- The moneyline – Monelyline bets are one of the simplest forms of sports betting. Here, a player needs to bet on which team will emerge victorious on a specific match.
- Totals bets – When it comes to a total bet, winners do not matter at all. Here, the bet is based on the total score of the match. Also referred as an over/under bet, you need to predict the points or the score of both teams when added together. The bookie quotes the line and you choose either the under or over.
- Spread bets – Spread betting is another form of sports betting that’s gaining massive popularity amongst MI bettors. In a spread bet, players bet that the gap between one team’s points/score and their opponents is greater than a specific number. This type of bet acts a type of handicap betting so that despite the odds, each of the team in action has the same chance of winning. As a player, you wager on the team that you believe will beat the spread.
- Futures bets – Plenty of Michigan sportsbooks also offer futures bets to its customers. Futures bets are all about the outcome of a sporting event that hasn’t happened. A major difference here is that futures bets are based on sporting activities that are long way off. For example, you can bet on which team will win the league championship in football or two teams that will make their way to the Super Bowl.
- Parlay bet – You’ll certainly find this type of betting on offer across several online betting sites in MI. Parlays link together various individual bets. However, a player needs to get every game right to win the bet. Parlays allows players to win cash for small initial wagers.
- Round Robin – In the same manner that parlays chains together several bets, a round robin bet also links together several parlay All you need to do is to create a list of the teams for your parlays, followed by how many legs that you want each parlay to have. Unlike parlays, you don’t have to get every leg right for the Round Robin to win.
- Teaser – Teaser bets are also common among Michigan sportsbooks. It works as a parlay bet, but the legs of the wager are restricted to spread bets or totals bets. A major advantage here is that a bettor can go ahead and adjust the points spread or under/over a certain number of points. This reduces the odds, a matter that makes the bet easier to win. However, the payout will be lower.
Sports Teams to Bet on in Michigan
There are several clubs in Michigan that take part in different sports leagues from NFL to rugby, and NBA, among others. The following are some of Michigan sports teams that you should bet on if you intend to increase your bankroll.
- Detroit Lions – The Detroit Lions are a pro football team that represent the state of Michigan. Many MI sportsbooks offer tons of betting options on the Lions when they are in action.
- Detroit Pistons – Currently, the State of Michigan has one NBA team, and that’s the Detroit Pistons. The Detroit Pistons are among some of the most successful teams and a major source of sports wagering handle for the Great Lake State.
- Detroit Redwings – The Detroit Redwings is one of the most successful team when it comes to professional The team currently boasts of 11 Stanley Cup trophies, making them a good side to back up when they are in action.
- Detroit Tigers – When it comes to baseball, the Detroit Tigers are the hometown team for the State of Michigan. Even though they’ve struggled in recent years, they are looking to build a solid team, a big reason as to why you may need to wager on them when it comes to professional
- Michigan Wolverines – The Michigan Wolverines are lately taking a large portion of the betting handle across Michigan sportsbooks when it comes to collegiate wagering. They have 16 national titles in football, another reason as to why you may need to bet on them.
- Michigan State Spartans – The Michigan State Spartans do host some of the most successful basketball and soccer programs in the United States. They currently boast of 6 titles in soccer and two NCAA Tournament wins.