Sports Betting in West Virginia
West Virginia is the 5th State to offer its residents legal sports betting, becoming a part of the regulated sports betting industry in the United States. As of now, both retail and online sports betting is underway and highly active in the Mountain State, with the online casinos now accepting players from all over the state.
Start here to find the latest on some of the best online sports betting sites, top-of-the-class apps, and sports betting laws in West Virginia. Below, you’ll find everything that you need to be aware before you can begin wagering on your favorite sports in West Virginia.
Top West Virginia Online Bookmakers
West Virginia is home to several online sports betting sites that accepts bettors in the state to wager with them. While there are several of them currently in operation and others that are waiting for a license to operate, we established the following to be the best ones when it comes to sports wagering in West Virginia:
- DraftKings – DraftKings has managed to expand from a daily fantasy leader to become a huge brand in the US. Sports betting enthusiasts from West Virginia should expect to find a large betting menu and several bonuses and promotions here.
- FanDuel – When it comes to some of the best sports betting apps, FanDuel is one of those bookmakers with solid sports betting app. Players from West Virginia can expect to find a superior live betting experience, along with plenty of features for new players.
- BetMGM – The BetMGM sports app allows residents of West Virginia to place legal bets on their favorite clubs and other sports leagues of their choice. With an impressive mobile presence, players can expect a lucrative sign-up bonus, plenty of in-play betting options, and weekly free Players with accounts here can also expect a bonus of $600 risk-free bet.
- William Hill – William Hill offers their customers weekly betting promos in addition of up to $500 wagers that are free of any risks upon their initial deposit.
The above are top choices for those on the hunt for best sportsbooks in West Virginia. They highly excel in terms of bonuses, a wide range of betting options and excellent odds. They also offer their customers overall convenience along with an unforgettable user experience. The odds on offer here are also some of the most attractive ones.
Sports Betting Laws in West Virginia
It comes as a surprise, but largely unassuming West Virginia has been one of those states on the vanguard of legal sports betting since the beginning. If the State of New Jersey was the commander of that particular army, then it’s not reach to say the Mountain State of West Virginia was without a doubt the second-in-command.
As early as 2016, the State of West Virginia was very clear in its position regarding sports betting. In fact, sensing the direction of where the wind was blowing, legislators in West Virginia debated and subsequently passed a comprehensive sports wagering bill three months before the Supreme Court decision that declared PASPA illegal.
The moment the ruling came out, West Virginia acted fast to legalize sports betting. The following are some of the key takeaways of online sports gambling laws in West Virginia:
- You cannot wager or enjoy your favorite casino games if you are under the age of 21.
- Offshore bookmakers and casinos are under the consideration of being illegal in West Virginia.
- Bettors must be physically located in the State of West Virginia to be able to place their bets with West Virginia sportsbooks.
- It’s legal to place wagers using mobile sports betting apps.
- Casinos and racetrack licensees have to pay a $100,000 application fee that they have to renew after five years.
- The state has the authority to levy a 10% tax on the gross sports wagering revenue of operators.
- The new law doesn’t include “integrity fees” that professional leagues keep on pushing for.
- Online betting sites must seek approval before they offer odds on new sports leagues.
- You can wager on amateur sports, but not those that involve minors.
Of importance to note is that West Virginia’s legislators have largely avoided putting restrictions on the types of bets that bookies can offer their customers. The state lottery administers every sports betting law, with the West Virginia State Police enforcing them.
Sporting Events Available for Wagering in West Virginia
Almost any type of sporting event is available for betting on in West Virginia. Unlike other states with a blanket ban on collegiate wagering, such isn’t the case in the Mountain State. Therefore, you should find a plethora of options to choose from when wagering on college sports. This include sporting activities that take place in West Virginia or those that involve athletes and teams based in WV.
There are no any restrictions at all when wagering on professional sports and on events such NFL Draft and the Olympics. Better yet, the state allows many forms of prop wagering that aren’t possible elsewhere in the United States. Of importance to note, though, is that you can’t wager on sporting activities that involve minors.
Unlike other states where eSports wagering isn’t possible, the case is different in the Mountaineer State. As a bettor, you can wager on eSports in West Virginia such as CS:GO or the League of Legends or some actions on iNASCAR. Unfortunately, though, there’s no wagering on politics or entertainment. Wagering on these events are off-limits here. In short, some of the most popular sports that you can wager on include:
- Ice hockey
- Table Tennis
Types of Wagers Available in West Virginia
West Virginia allows popular wagering types that you can find at major sports betting sites, including:
- Points Spreads – A wager on the point spread is a bet against an already established victory margin. A bookmaker will establish what it believes to be the overall outcomes of two teams in the competition. The estimate is the line, the spread or the point spread. Bettors get to issue wagers based upon the estimate. The favorite mostly wins by many points while the underdog loses by fewer goals or points than the estimate.
- The moneylines – This is another popular type of wagering that you’ll most certainly find at almost online sports betting sites in West Virginia. Here, a player gets to wager on which team s/he believes will win outright, regardless of the margin. Something that needs careful observation is the sign before the digits on the selected team. If it’s positive, then the team is the underdog, but if negative, then the team is the favorite.
- Totals – At times, it can be difficult to predict which team will prevail in a given match. Therefore, it becomes easier to estimate the kind of offense that the two teams combined will produce. At totals bet is a wager on how many goals or points that a certain contest will produce. Sports bettors like to call the over/under bet as it’s precisely what they are wagering.
- Futures – This is also another popular type of bet in sports gambling. As its name applies, this is a bet that involves wagering on events that have yet to pass. Mostly, futures bets involve end-of-season proposition, such as season award or a championship. For example, you can bet on which team will win the Super Bowl at the end of the season.
- Propositions – Another common type of wagering type of the proposition bet. A proposition bet involves wagering on a sporting event that’s not immediately determined by the overall outcome of a match or a game. For example, a wager on individual performance of a player during a match qualifies as a proposition bet.
- Parlays- A parlay is a combination wager. Here, a player gets to select several different wager types to reside on the same bet. Each of these wagers are legs, and players can make parlay wagers with as many legs as the wish. The more legs in parlays mean a higher payout if the bet wins.
Top Teams worth Betting on for West Virginia’s Bettors
Undoubtedly, football remains one of the biggest sporting events to gamble in the United States, and West Virginia follows suit in that regard. However, West Virginia residents seem to have a bit of quandary regarding where their allegiance lies. The Mountain State isn’t home to major sports franchises, a big reason as to why bettors in the state look elsewhere for a chance to root.
There are several top teams playing in different sports leagues that seem to have captured the attention of players in WV. Some of them include:
- Pittsburgh Steelers (NFL)
- Washington Wizards (NBA)
- Pittsburgh Penguins (NHL)
- Washington Redskins (NFL)
- Washington Capitals (NHL)
- Pittsburgh Pirates (MLB)
- Washington Nationals (MLB)
Banking Options Available at West Virginia Sports Betting Sites
West Virginia sites make it very easy for players to carry out transactions to and from their accounts. Some major deposit and methods of withdrawals include the following:
- Bank transfers
- Credit and debit cards
- Bank wire
- Electronic wallets
- Prepaid cards